As we all know, the weekends can be glorious. For me, weekend brunch in particular. On a Sunday morning, I love nothing more than idling over a plate of something hot and satisfying with coffee and newspaper in hand.
When I came across this breakfast idea, I could have sworn I heard angels singing. The soft pear, crunchy hazelnuts, smokey-sweet syrup and fudgy chocolate spread just make perfect sense. It’s re-imagined from a dish I saw in an article by the Herald Sun titled Melbourne’s Best Breakfasts. I suspect it looks a bit much, but the elements don’t take as long as you might think, because most things cook simultaneously.
The bourbon-infused syrup is a bit of a cheat. I found the Noble brand of maple syrup at my local providore. It’s aged in bourbon barrels, and can really up the ante on your breakfast fun. Here’s a link to buy in via Gourmet Grocer Online, if you’re interested – otherwise you can use any other good quality syrup you like.
2 ripe pears
1 cup caster sugar
1 litre boiled water
1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup full-cream milk
Butter for greasing
1/3 cup hazelnuts
2 tablespoons Nutella (1 each)
Noble bourbon-infused maple-syrup, or similar maple syrup to taste
1. Set the kettle going and then peel your pears, leaving them whole.
2. Mix recently-boiled water, sugar and scraped vanilla bean in a small saucepan and place on a medium heat. Wait until the sugar is dissolved, then add your pears. If the pears aren’t quite covered, add a bit more water and sugar. Simmer gently for 30 mins.
3. Mix ingredients for your pancakes together. Set aside.
4. Toast your hazelnuts in a dry frying plan on medium heat for a few minutes till golden (be sure to keep an eye on them, as they toast quick). Remove them from the pan and set aside to cool.
5. Place the frying plan on medium heat. When hot, grease the flying pan and start cooking your pancakes (2-3 mins per side).
6. Once your pancakes are done, top with the poached pear, syrup and hazelnuts. Spoon out Nutella on the side.